Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Review: The Bane Chronicles

The Bane Chronicles The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this collection of novellas, and though I didn't completely speed through this, I really enjoyed having more insight on characters that weren't featured as much in The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

My favorite novella was the one featuring Edmund Herondale. It was also interesting seeing the backstory of Magnus and his relationships with fellow Warlocks Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss, and his relationship with Camille. Plus, these novellas presented more of Malec's relationship in the books that we never got to see, since the books were focused more on Clary.

I did not realize that Tessa was at Magnus' house when Jocelyn came trying to stop Clary seeing the Shadow World at a young age. Seeing more from The Circle was great, because their prejudice was less theoretical, and more hard hitting. I previously read the Shadowhunter Academy novellas, so I already learned more about Valentine's followers, but to read how brutal they were and how loyal they were to Valentine was quite enlightening. It was also great how a novella explored more of Raphael's backstory, and added to my understanding of his character. Furthermore, seeing how Ragnor Fell and Raphael interacted was great. I love how they both ganged up on Magnus!

I give this novella bind up a 5/5 stars, because the writing was excellent, the characters were rich and well developed, and every novella broadened my understanding of the Shadow World. Having multiple authors did not change the fluidity of the story or the characterization, and it did not change the quality of the story.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment