Thursday, January 26, 2017

Review: Every Heart a Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Every Heart a Doorway" has a very intriguing premise. I love the concept explored in the story: What happens after you come back from another world? It's hard to acclimate and it's confusing. I feel like that's also what happens after you read a world changing book (kind of like a mourning period). The children in the story have found doors to other worlds that they can travel to. They could have visited a "nonsense" world, a "logic" world, an underworld, a world composed of spiders, or skeletons, etc. This concept is so different from anything I've ever read. The way I think of it is what should have happened to the Pevensies after "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe". How do children go back to life in our world after being gone for six weeks, or six years? This book was originally described to me as "Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, but better"! The representation in this book was fantastic! The main character is asexual (the first time I've seen it represented in a book or otherwise), another is transgender. There so many different races and ethnicities are represented. I really admired the way the author approached sexuality. However a character identified, the story was not built around it. For example, the main character was asexual, but it was quickly explained, and it simply added to the complexity of that character, rather than being used as a plot point in the narrative. The book was short (around 190 pages), the pacing was well done, and the world building was extraordinary. I loved the narration, and the voice it had in the story. I have never been more pleased that I picked up a recommended novel, and I strongly recommend that everyone read this book!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment