Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Diversity Bingo Update!

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon is a Young Adult Contemporary novel that is relatively a new release. It discusses immigration and deportation, and the story is told through multiple perspectives. The main characters, Natasha and Daniel are both immigrants. Natasha is undocumented, and her parents immigrated from Jamaica. Daniel's parents legally immigrated from South Korea. Overall, I liked the use of multiple perspectives, and how Daniel and Natasha's culture impacted their story. I did a review on my BookTube channel if you want to check out more of my thoughts.

*This book will fulfill "An immigrant/refugee MC" for Diversity bingo



I also read "of Fire and Stars" by Audrey Coulthurst. This is a fantasy novel in which a Princess is betrothed to a Prince from a foreign kingdom, only to fall in love with his sister. Also, the Princess hides her ability to use magic, something that is forbidden in their world. I was glad to see a non-heterosexual couple romance, but that was the only part of the book that was interesting! The world building wasn't well done, and I couldn't tell what the plot was until almost the ending!

*This book will fulfill "Bisexual MC: Own voices" for Diversity Bingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment