Saturday, May 6, 2017

Review: Alex and Eliza

Alex and Eliza Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a historical fiction novel about Elizabeth Schuyler and Alexander Hamilton, and how they came to be married. The Netgalley sample I received was only for 4 chapters, but I finished it on audiobook, so here are my thoughts:

In the early chapters, I realized that the author stated that they had maids or servants, and ignored the presence of slavery in the time period. I looked further into it, and the Schuyler's definitely had slaves. This felt very inauthentic, and though it was not the point of the novel, it glazed over a very real part of the United States History.

The author said she made it historically accurate to a point, and it definitely felt like that. I really appreciated how the characters talked, and how it sounded like they belonged to a previous time period. Also, it was really cool that the author based the story on real people in US history. It was a cute, fluffy novel imagining Alex and Eliza's courtship and the challenges they must have faced due to their differences in status. I enjoyed how Eliza is portrayed passionate about the Revolution and helping the troops of the colonies, and I also enjoyed the portrayal of Peggy and Angelica, though I wish they had been more present in the novel. Perhaps they will be in the sequel? I gave this 3/5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment