Friday, January 13, 2017

Review: A Thousand Pieces of You

A Thousand Pieces of You A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

WOH! I started this after midnight, and I read it all the way through and finished it before 4 am! This is the first time that I can remember reading a book in one sitting (though I read The Cursed Child in one sitting, but it's a play, so it doesn't really count).

A Thousand Pieces of You is the story of a girl named Marguerite whose Father, a scientist who created Firebird, a device that enables the wearer to travel between dimensions, is killed. It seems that his research assistant, Paul, killed him and ran off. So, Marguerite and Theo (another research assistant), travel in between dimensions with prototypes of Firebird, in an attempt to bring her Father's killer to justice.

This book is fantastic! The ways the other dimensions are imagined, I loved it! The idea of Firebird is that when you put it on and travel to another dimension, you are thrusted into your body in the other universe. I love the way the main characters in these books were different in other dimensions. My favorite dimension was where Marguerite was a princess in Russia, and I loved how Paul's other dimension self was similar, yet different.

I was disappointed that I could spot plot twists so far ahead, but I was still invested in the story and I was still entertained, and I love the way the story unfolded. I've seen other people's reviews, in which they discuss that it was more of a romance than a Sci-Fi book, and I concur with that. However, I don't think it affected how much I loved this book, since I'm not a Sci-Fi reader normally. I think this book is more about the characters and their development, and that's just the way I like it. Also, the cover is a complete masterpiece.

I feel like I almost never give a book 5 stars, but it was inevitable for this book. The fact that I couldn't put it down, and got much less sleep due to my investment in the story is definitely a part of that. I loved how the universe was constructed, and it strongly reminded me of The Flash on the CW, where Barry travels to different earths. Barry meets himself, and discovers how different the other version of him is, due to his life experiences changing. It also reminded me of The Next Together by Laruen James, but it was done even better! So, to finish this review out, if you like adventure, fate driven romance, and sci-fi, I think you'll like this book!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment